Sunday, April 27, 2008

Ancestor Pendant

This is one of my first soldered pieces. You can tell if you look closely! My soldering has definitely improved. But this pendant is dear to my heart. One side has a picture of my grandfather when he was quite young. I'd say early 20's. He was absolutely the dearest man I have ever met. He passed several years ago at the ripe age of 93. He lived long and well, and was loved by many. The other side is my great grandmother - my grandmother's mother. We called her Bopchi - I'm certain that is NOT how it's spelled, but that's how it sounded! It means 'Grandmother' in Polish. She was a very sweet woman. She spoke very little English, but we still managed to communicate and there was never any doubt about the love that was between us. She passed when I was 12 and she was in her 80's. It was quite common when I was growing up to hear lots of conversations taking place in Polish. I never learned - but I wish I had. I can count to almost ten and know a few words, but that's it. What a shame. I'm not a scrap booker - sometimes I wish I was. I envy people who have all those glorious books that document their lives and the lives of those around them. But this was my little bit of scrap booking that day. It preserves these two remarkable people in a pendant that lies close to my heart as they do. I always get comments on this piece when I wear it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen,
How exciting. I love seeing your work and now I can see it even if I can't stop by. Your art is amazing. Thanks for the great blog.

Tami said...

Karen,
Oh my gosh, I love your soldered double sided pendant of your grandparents!! I am a newbie solder junky and have a question for you - where did you get the neat silver bent wire that you used right next to your piece to hang items from? I don't know how to explain it. Is this something you buy or did you make some wire bent like that? Thank you in advance-great job!!!
Tami R.

Karen said...

Thanks for the kind words, Tami! I bent the wire myself. For the top of the house shape, it's formed like a ribbon loop, if that makes sense. Think of the pink cancer ribbon symbol. The ends of the wire are flattened and copper taped to the top of the house before soldering. It's actually sandwiched between two pieces of copper tape. I tape the whole piece and then tape the findings on. The other loops are half circles with two right-angle 'arms' on them. These arms are also flattened before taping. All the findings were hammered flat and only the jump rings were left round. Hope this helps!

Artmom said...

Karen, these are wonderful!!! I love that they have 2 soldered pieces, and I love the triangles! Such a unique idea for these, way to go!! And of COURSE the best part is they have personal photos!! Deb

http://artmom-makingtimecount.blogspot.com/